COVID-19 disease is presented with different symptoms in different people. The most common is fever, cough, body ache, headache, generalized weakness, and in severe cases, respiratory distress.
The body of the affected person usually clears the virus in 9 to 10 days and recovers in this time period. But virus causes inflammatory changes in the body. The severity of this inflammation or immunological response can be very mild to severe also.
Many people are complaining of post-COVID-19 illness. Symptoms of mild fever, generalized weakness, headache, loose motion, skin rashes, etc. are seen even after recovery from the disease due to inflammation and damage to the body.
A doctor prescribes you medicine, but home remedies also help a lot in these cases and turmeric is one of the highly beneficial.
Uses of turmeric:
- It is an age-old spice found and used in every kitchen. Indian use its powder in many ways to prevent and treat diseases.
- A paste made from powder and water is applied to an inflamed joint or part of the body. It reduces inflammation and pain.
- During cut or injury, it is applied to the wound. It prevents bleeding and acts as an antibiotic.
- Turmeric with milk is the commonest use to reduce coughs and colds and is helpful in the prevention of viral illness.
What does turmeric do for the body?
- It contains an active ingredient known as Curcumin. It is helpful to the body in many ways.
- It acts as a TNF blocker. TNFs are mediators of inflammation. Many medicines are available to block its inflammatory effects of it. But these medicines are very expensive and have many side effects.
Turmeric is the best cheap and safe alternative easily available everywhere. It can be used for various autoimmune and inflammatory diseases like rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, asthma, Crohn’s disease, etc. Likewise, it is also useful during and after COVID-19 illness to reduce inflammatory damage to the body.
- It also acts as an antiviral and antibacterial agent and helps to reduce the serious effects of these microorganisms.
- In modern medicine and Ayurveda it is approved and many studies are available to prove its beneficial effects on the body.
How much turmeric should I take?
- For post-COVID-19 illness, it should be taken with milk, or you can also roast and take it.
- The easiest way is to take it with milk during the evening or at night. You can take slightly extra quantity than regularly required. One or one and a half spoons of turmeric powder is sufficient. You can take it for three months as in many cases the symptoms persist for a longer time in coronavirus disease.
Is turmeric safe?
- Usually, it has no side effects when taken by mouth or applied to the skin in limited or allowed quantity for up to 8 months.
- It is also possibly safe as gargle or enema.
- In pregnancy and breastfeeding, it should not be taken as a high medicinal amount. One should take only in an amount that is used in food.
This article is only for information and educational purposes. Take advice of your doctor before taking any action. Thank you.